Topics covered in this section:
KDXplore preferences appear contextually throughout the general user interface of KDXplore in each module. For instance the preference for what constitutes a “low” seed-bag in the Seed Preparation module can be easily set from the first step of Seed Preparation. Although, as this is a KDXplore preference it can also be adjusted from the main preferences menu.
- The main preferences window can be accessed from anywhere in KDXplore by selecting the main “File” menu and then the Preferences option appearing at the:
- Top of screen on Mac; or
- Top of KDXplore window frame on Windows.
KDXplore preferences are organised in a hierarchy, where preferences are grouped based on module such as “Seed Preparation”, then further grouped based on subsections, such as “User Interface”.
- Selecting the arrow next to a preference group as seen in will expand the group. Alternatively, double clicking will perform the same action.
- Sub groups applicable to a module are now visible. Selecting a sub group as seen in displays the preferences within that subgroup as seen in .
- Further expanding the subgroup structure will present the preferences themselves. Selecting a preference as seen below in will show controls in for altering the selected preference. In the example below a colour preference has been selected.
KDXplore is capable of housing multiple different offline databases simultaneously. Every time KDXplore is connected to a new online Database a prompt will display requesting to create a new offline database to manage that connection in isolation. This simplifies managing multiple large datasets or online connections.
- To explore the offline databases available in KDXplore navigate to the main “Trial Manager” window and select the button with the KDXplore symbol seen below in .
- The displayed window lists the available databases in KDXplore. By selecting one and choosing the “Make Current” button seen in users can switch between offline databases.
- An option is also presented here in to delete the selected database entirely.
In KDXplore offline data in any number of offline databases can be seen and explored.
- By navigating to the Offline Database Manager as seen in the previous section, selecting a database and clicking the “View” button seen in .
- A dialog will open with the offline database explorer as seen below in area 2.
- In the selected database URL (for online connection) and User name can be seen.
- In area tabs are organised into groups. By selecting a tab, such as “Item-Related” the panel below in area 4. is populated with expandable panel containing the data.
- In a list of “General Units” or units of measurement that are currently in the offline database can be seen.
- In all downloaded trials can be seen. By selecting the tab label “Traits” at the top of all traits in the offline database can be seen.
When KDXplore is connected to KDDart for the first organisational data relating to vocabulary, units of measurement, items etc. is downloaded and stored for later use as context in KDXplore. This data can be refreshed at any time.
1. To refresh downloaded data from a KDDart database, navigate to the main offline database explorer (as seen in the previous section). Whilst the offline database explorer window is open an additional main menu will be presented for KDXplore labeled “Data” as seen in . 3. Selecting this menu will present a drop down where the option “Refresh from Database” can be selected as seen in .
Performing some download actions in KDXplore will add additional cache isolated from the offline database. This seclusion is sometimes necessary to simplify complex relationships between multiple objects within KDXplore. This cache can be cleared (deleted permanently) at any time.
1. To delete cached Trial data navigate to the main offline database explorer (as seen in the previous section). Whilst the offline database explorer window is open an additional main menu will be presented for KDXplore labeled “Data” as seen in . 3. Selecting this menu will present a drop down where the option “Delete Trial Cache” can be selected as seen in .
In KDXplore back up of the offline database can be performed at any time. Although there is no danger of KDXplore loosing data integrity, it is always recommended that database backup be stored on an alternative machine or backup medium.
- Navigate to the “Check for Updates” menu in KDXplore as seen in the Update section of the first chapter of KDXplore’s help.
- Select the “Backup Database” option to save the any of the offline databases.